Taking your education to a higher level is worthwhile from a career point of view.
Here are a few reasons why higher education level study could help you progress in a career.
- Many higher education courses are vocational i.e. they directly relate to particular work areas – accountancy, business, data science, sport and exercise science, engineering and social work are just a few examples.
- A higher education level qualification is essential for initial entry to some careers such as architecture, teaching and certain professional roles in healthcare.
- Employers sometimes only want to employ graduates – and they won’t mind what degree subject you studied.
- A higher education level qualification can improve your chances of obtaining a fulfilling, well-paid job.
- A higher education qualification helps you to develop important transferable skills e.g. numeracy, communication and IT. This can give you the edge in the job market.
- You will build up a network of contacts, especially if work experience is part of your course; this can help when you come to apply for jobs.
- Higher education courses can often be taken part time or through distance learning so you can fit studying around your job or other commitments.