Questions to ask
When applying for APL it is important to know the right questions to ask!
Before contacting your chosen institution to ask them about APL and APEL be prepared - find out what the course requirements are, think about the qualifications, skills and experiences you have already which might contribute.
The following questions may be of use to ask when contacting a Higher Education Institution to enquire about their Accreditation of Prior Learning (APL) policy and procedure:
- Do you award credit for prior experiential learning (APEL)?
- Do you award credit for prior certificated learning(APCL)?
- How is APL assessed?
- How do I proceed with an APL application?
- Do you think it is possible to claim credit for my previous experiences/qualifications? If so, is there a maximum of APL credit I can claim?
- Will I receive any support in completing an APL assessment?
- Is there a ‘shelf life’ to the skills or credit I currently possess? How current do my experiences or past qualifications have to be?
- Is there a fee for the APL process?
- When can I apply for APL? Is there a cut-off date for APL applications at your institution?