Improving your skills e.g. literacy, numeracy and IT
You might feel you need to brush up on your numeracy, literacy or IT skills, either for interest, to help with employment or before you start thinking about a higher education level course.
Here are links which will help:
- The National Careers Service site offers a Skills Health Check tool which will help you assess your current skills and identify which ones you need to brush up on!
- Learndirect offers adults a range of online courses that lead to nationally recognised qualifications - in maths, English, IT, and business and management
- If you are on benefits, check what the implications may be of you attending the course, also whether you might be entitled to financial support on the course
- Colleges also offer skills building courses for literacy, numeracy and IT which lead towards qualifications at different levels. Look at what's available at your local college in Find a provider or search for a course, including part time, on the hot courses site
- There might be funding avilable for these courses so check this out at gov.uk
- If you are employed and in a union, find out whether skills building courses are available to you through Unionlearn
- In the Improve your skills section of Lifepilot you will find activities to help you improve the skills you need for studying at a higher education level