Help and support

Sign in or register to add page to my resources

For students with a disability

i stock reuse

Increasing numbers of students with physical, sensory or specific learning difficulties (for example dyslexia) are gaining access to higher education as institutions become more responsive to individual needs.

If you have a learning difficulty or a disability you should get early advice from your tutor and institution.

College and universities offer Student Support Services that can provide a range of support, including specific help for those with a disability.

The types of support institutions provide might include:

  • making special arrangements for physical access
  • providing special equipment
  • assessing individual learner needs
  • additional funding applications
  • arranging access to more specialised services

Disability Advisers at universities provide advice and study support for a wide range of students, including those with:

  • specific learning difficulties (e.g., dyslexia, dyspraxia)
  • long-term health conditions (e.g., arthritis, diabetes, epilepsy, CFS/ ME, HIV)
  • mental health difficulties (e.g., anxiety, depression)
  • mobility difficulties (e.g., wheelchair users)
  • sensory impairments (e.g., hearing impairment, visual impairment)
  • autistic spectrum difficulties (e.g., Asperger syndrome)

This list is not exhaustive and universities may be able to provide support for any non-trivial difficulty lasting twelve months or more.

The best thing to do in a first instance is to look at the website of the university you are interested in to find out what support they can provide.

it is always worth finding out the support on offer at different institutions Find a provider.

There's useful information available to support disabled students through Disability Rights.

Marian talks about overcoming difficulties to succeed