- Think about your goals. What is it you want to get from studying in the short, medium and long term?
- Discuss your plans with family and friends.
- Decide on what, where and how you want to study. Don’t forget that there are flexible ways to learn, so there should be something to suit you.
- Find out about courses and their entry requirements through UCAS course search.
- Be positive about your current experience, skills and qualifications.
- Work out the costs involved with higher education study and find out what financial support may be available. Weigh up the benefits against the costs, but take a long-term view!
- If you’re in work, ask your employer if they can support you with your tuition fees and/or give you study leave.
- If you aren’t yet ready to start higher education level study, consider doing a preparatory course. Remember that there are also courses to brush up on your maths, English and IT.
- Stick to your guns. It may seem like a challenge, but universities and colleges are keen to recruit people just like you!